New Freelanders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need help now for survival

2 posters

Go down

I need help now for survival Empty I need help now for survival

Post by hopefulfilled Tue 15 Jul 2008, 1:22 pm

Hello if there is anyone who could help me, please do! My husband is working a day away, and my generator (I only have a little solar and generator power) receptacle for my well pump is not working. The generator works for other things, but the 4 holed receptacle for the well pump will not work.Can anyone tell me how to fix it? The necessity of water is becoming very real for me.

hopefulfilled

Back to top Go down

I need help now for survival Empty Re: I need help now for survival

Post by hawkiye Tue 15 Jul 2008, 5:33 pm

First thing to check is any breakers between it and the generator, if there is a breaker turn the breaker completely off and then back on. Make sure there is no frayed wires or standing water. It is possible it is your well pump also and you have power but the pump won't come on. How old is it etc.?

It might be more helpful if you describe your set up as best you can in as much detail as you can.

Is your pump running off a battery array hooked up to the generator and the solar with a switch to switch between the two? If so make sure the Switch is on the right one. If you have an inverter separate from your generator you might try turning it off and back on.

Or is it running directly off the generator? There might be a breaker or reset button on the generator for that circuit. If so turn that off then on or push for reset. You also might try unplugging the well pump or turning it off if there is a switch and letting it sit for about a half hour, it might have some reset circuitry of its own and will reset it self if left for a bit.

That is about the best I can do without knowing more about how it's set up. Hopefully it is something simple.
hawkiye
hawkiye

Back to top Go down

Post by hopefulfilled Tue 15 Jul 2008, 6:15 pm

Thank you for answering me. It is hooked up directly to the generator. The reset button is fine. Sometimes it had tripped it, but now it just doesn't seem to be working at all. The plug for the pump had some loose wires and I fixed that. Could the loose wires in the plug have caused a short or something? I also noticed that the generator will not go on idle now, would that have anything to do with it? The pump is 9 years old. Thank you again.

hopefulfilled

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkiye Tue 15 Jul 2008, 8:05 pm

If the generator is not idling then something is drawing power constantly. If anything else is plugged into the generator at the same time and running try unplugging it and just running the generator and the pump and nothing else.

Also let the generator sit for a half hour not running, perhaps your reset is not reseting.

It is possible you the wires you fixed are shorted. You might pull it apart and make sure the wires are not touching each other or metal. The ground can be touching metal. Do you know if it is 240 voltage or 110? I don't remember which one is ground and neutral on a 4 wire plug. Most likely 240 volts two hot wires a ground and neutral.

You might do a Google search to check on the wring for a well pump plug. Do you have any other source of water first to drink and second to water animals etc. Might have to use a bucket?
hawkiye
hawkiye

Back to top Go down

Post by hopefulfilled Tue 15 Jul 2008, 10:19 pm

Hi, thanks again. No, nothing was plugged into it, when it won't idle. That's what was so strange. No, there is no other water here, and we are in a drought. However, I am blessed in having a neighbor, who also is preparing for the worst, although never home as she is a trucker, offered to let me get water from her tank. (My kids are hired by her to water her trees and bushes while she is all over the country). So, I do have something to rely on, anyway in the meantime. I will check the plug again in the morning and her friend, who is an electrician, is coming to do something at her place, and she is having him stop by and check my situation out. So, hopefully he will be able to figure it out, and I hope it isn't the pump. Thank you again.

hopefulfilled

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkiye Wed 16 Jul 2008, 5:54 pm

let us know how you fixed it?
hawkiye
hawkiye

Back to top Go down

Post by hopefulfilled Fri 18 Jul 2008, 5:19 pm

Hi, a friend handy with electricity came and put in a new wire from the plug to the well pump. Evidently one of them was dead, or something. Anyway, I have water! Just in time for my garden at least most of it, anyway. Thanks again. Now, if someone needs a block chimney? Smile

hopefulfilled

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down