New Freelanders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What guns are needed for survival?

+4
Anarchist
Frank_Castle
greendragon
Racertim23
8 posters

Go down

What guns are needed for survival? Empty What guns are needed for survival?

Post by Racertim23 Thu 08 May 2008, 10:59 am

Last year I was talked into attending a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation annual chapter meeting. I am not a gun buff by no means, but i knew I wanted and needed something. So I won an auction for a Browning Gold 12ga, beautiful piece. Then for signing up as a lifetime member with RMEF, I won a drawing that included a Winchester Model 70 WSSM (Super Short Mag).

I have never fired these guns. I went to buy ammo for them last week, and the retailer informs me that my super mag was a failed product for Winchester, and that ammo was double of a conventional hunting rifle. That sucks! And I also know that my Browning is more than needed for survival, its better suited for trap or skeet.

So I am thinking of trading these 2 units for affordable ammo guns and a hand gun. So with that in mind, what should I get knowing that ammo will be plentiful or common?

Shotgun?

Hunting Rifle?

Handgun?

Maybe a bow?

Thanks

Racertim23

Back to top Go down

What guns are needed for survival? Empty Re: What guns are needed for survival?

Post by greendragon Fri 09 May 2008, 8:40 am

A good rifle and pistol to start with. Then a hunting rifle and a shotgun. Also a good 22 rifle I recommend the ruger 1022. Excellent little rifle, very rugged. A 22 can be used to hunt small game and but also for target practice as you hone your skills. 22 ammo is cheap for learning to shoot.

Models and type are a matter of personal preference,. But if I were you here is what I would get to start; An AK47, a good 45. any number of brands. Glocks are tried and true. I prefer the 1911 style myself and am considering a new springfield XD. However there are several brands out there such as kimber, Taures and the new Rugers look pretty nice etc. Some ranges have various brands you can shoot so you can see what feels best for you. Then I would buy a 308 hunting rifle. Savage makes an excellent 308 in several models. For the money they are hard to beat and tack drivers out of the box.

After that I might consider a tactical shotgun. And some extra AK's or at least SKS's for backup, and of course 1000 rounds of ammo for each. All depends on how much money you have to spend.

I am sure others will have there preferences too.
greendragon
greendragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Castle Fri 09 May 2008, 5:09 pm

+1 on the Ruger 10/22. When the SHTF .22lr is going to be the most readily available cartridge around. An AR7 survival rifle is also a good .22lr choice.

As far as shotties 12 ga or .410 would be your best bet because those are the more common shot shells,IIRC.If you're not looking to spend a lot of money a good defensive shot gun is worth it's weight in gold(not literally, though) Surprised

Anything else is personal preference but keep in mind ammo availability, and the more common calibers would be 9mm, .45 acp, .223 REM/5.56 NATO(especially here in the US), .308 WIN/7.62NATO, 7.62x39, .30-06, 8mm Mauser. Stuff the military or the police use.

There are plenty of rifles and pistols in those calibers that don't come in the scary 'assault weapon' configuration if that's what you prefer, but if you go the 'assault weapon' route make sure you have plenty of magazines(7-10) and ammo(1000+) and that you spend plenty of time at the range becoming familiar with it.

PS. a good bolt gun to consider right now would be any of the com-bloc Mosin Nagant rifles. You can usually find them for under 100 bucks, the mil-surp ammo is ridiculously cheap and they have acceptable ballistics/accuracy.

Frank_Castle

Back to top Go down

Post by Anarchist Mon 16 Jun 2008, 1:00 pm

Several years ago I was having this discussion with an Army NCO friend at a Western Idaho Fair Grounds Gun Show where I was promoting the Libertarian Party and the Second Amendment. His answer was simple. 9mm and 45 cal in a hand gun and 308 cal and 223 cal in a long gun plus a 22 cal rifle and pistol. The 9mm, 45, 308, and 223 are military cals and if things go south you will always have food for your pets.

Voluntary Association + Mutual Cooperation + 110% Personal Responsibility = 100% Individual Liberty

Anarchist

Back to top Go down

Post by Anarchist Mon 16 Jun 2008, 1:12 pm

Two other items to consider are a full sized crossbow and a crossbow pistol. Both are silent weapons.

Voluntary Association + Mutual Cooperation + 110% Presonal Responsibility =100% Individual Liberty

Anarchist

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Castle Fri 04 Jul 2008, 2:29 pm

Nothing short of a belt-fed machine gun is acceptable Twisted Evil
Naw but seriously anything that goes bang and chambered for common ammo.
Also one might consider in addition to a bow and arrow, perhaps a common sling-shot. For rattle snakes and such or when ammo runs low. Wink

Frank_Castle

Back to top Go down

What guns are needed for survival? Empty ladies hand gun

Post by radicalgma Sat 05 Jul 2008, 9:56 am

I'm signed up to take a protection in the home course, and will be trying our the various hand guns the instructor has to decide what to use for a hand gun. I currently have an old..pre-1900 32 S&W. Due to the expense of ammo, I would like to sell or trade this gun for something that would be cheaper to shoot, and to load ammo for.

Any suggestions? Question
radicalgma
radicalgma

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Castle Sat 05 Jul 2008, 12:25 pm

radicalgma wrote:I'm signed up to take a protection in the home course, and will be trying our the various hand guns the instructor has to decide what to use for a hand gun. I currently have an old..pre-1900 32 S&W. Due to the expense of ammo, I would like to sell or trade this gun for something that would be cheaper to shoot, and to load ammo for.

Any suggestions? Question

I'm not 100% on this but I think .380 auto is still relatively inexpensive, although I don't know of anyone who reloads in that caliber, but I'm sure it can be done.
You also might want to consider .38 special.
Of course if you like .32 there are several update models you may want to look at.

Frank_Castle

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkiye Sat 05 Jul 2008, 1:07 pm

Frank_Castle wrote:Nothing short of a belt-fed machine gun is acceptable Twisted Evil

LOL! happiness is a belt-fed machine gun... pirat
hawkiye
hawkiye

Back to top Go down

What guns are needed for survival? Empty lady's hand gun

Post by radicalgma Sat 05 Jul 2008, 8:12 pm

Frank_Castle wrote:src="https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_question.gif" alt="Question" smilieid="17" />

I'm not 100% on this but I think .380 auto is still relatively inexpensive, although I don't know of anyone who reloads in that caliber, but I'm sure it can be done.
You also might want to consider .38 special.
Of course if you like .32 there are several update models you may want to look at.[/quote]

Hi Frank,

My husband can reload anything I get, so that isn't an issue.

But the expense of the 32 ammo and not having much brass is. I am not attached to my 32..have had it about 30 years but with ammo so expensive now, I think it's time for something else. I'll check out the .380 auto. Thanks for the suggestion.

PS.. I obviously don't have the hang about how this forum's quotes..etc..work..so forgive me for them being messed up
radicalgma
radicalgma

Back to top Go down

Post by keydl Sat 16 Aug 2008, 8:08 pm

The shot gun might better be traded for a poor looking 12 ga pump or semi auto and a stack of 12 ga shells of mixed shot sizes and slugs if you want to use it to hunt where rifles are less useful.

The rifle needs to be a common caliber that is on everyones shelf in your location. Low power are 30-30, 7,62x39, .22, mid power .308, 30-06, .270, since you are not real interested skip the hi power, .300 Win, .50 cal.

Once agin check the prices and stock at several locations for the common high stacks of stuff that moves, north .....303 enfield is common.

There are also rifle/pistol common caliber .357, .44 mag, 9mm, .22.

For a battle rifle durability and parts commonality in your location but the M1A, M1 Garand, AR-15, Enfield, SKS, AKxx lead the list.

keydl

For those with an interest - the dependent phrase of the Second Amendment refers to the Militia Law of 1792 that lays a duty on all but the government employees to maintain a battle rifle for the defense of home, community and government - in that order. The people that wrote the Constitution were competent with the English language so disputes ought to be resolved by definition not translation. Translation is the definition of interpret at that time.

keydl

Back to top Go down

Post by mafiafran Mon 11 Oct 2010, 5:58 am

Two other items to consider are a full sized crossbow and a crossbow pistol. Both are silent weapons.

online bingo
Roulette

mafiafran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down