New Freelanders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Takes Priority?

4 posters

Go down

What Takes Priority? Empty What Takes Priority?

Post by MUSTANGMOM Sat 05 Jul 2008, 11:12 am

We have so much to do.! I know food takes first place but what are the best kinds of food to store? Meats will freezerburn in about 3 months and freezing is the only option I have for storing meat.

We're buying some chickens..haven't had any here in a few years..thinking of buying some goats/sheep.

We need a generator, weapons/ammo...we don't have a lot of money each week..inflation is pinching.

We're putting up silver...

Where in the dingdong do we start?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Another question...how do I find out if my state has a militia?
MUSTANGMOM
MUSTANGMOM

Back to top Go down

What Takes Priority? Empty Re: What Takes Priority?

Post by radicalgma Sat 05 Jul 2008, 11:23 am

Hi,

Like you we are starting to get prepared. We are lucky in that we do all ready have guns and ammo. I ordered canned meats that are supposed to last for many years a few weeks ago.. and we have them stored. We also have been buying up stores of rice and beans a little at a time. We are fortunate to have our own well, and if we lose electricity.. the water table is very high here, so I think we can always get water.

We are looking into buying some silver.. have to get with that and get it done. We also need a generator. Money just doesn't stretch far enough these days it seems to have extra to buy the extras we need to have on hand.
radicalgma
radicalgma

Back to top Go down

Post by greendragon Sat 05 Jul 2008, 12:21 pm

MUSTANGMOM wrote:We have so much to do.! I know food takes first place but what are the best kinds of food to store? Meats will freezerburn in about 3 months and freezing is the only option I have for storing meat.

We're buying some chickens..haven't had any here in a few years..thinking of buying some goats/sheep.

We need a generator, weapons/ammo...we don't have a lot of money each week..inflation is pinching.

We're putting up silver...

Where in the dingdong do we start?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Another question...how do I find out if my state has a militia?

You can also make jerky for storing meat it is simple and easy and you can make a dryer yourself or buy one. Also you may can meats yourself if you have a pressure canner. There are some recipes online. On the hoof so to speak is good too but it depends on if you have to buy feed or not. Chickens will eat fruit and vegetable scraps along with bugs and some weeds and seeds so they are pretty easy. Goats will eat damn near anything and their meat taste pretty good kind of like a light beef. Although that depends on the bulk of their diet. They are also good for milk. if you have some pasture it can accommodate both.

The basics are food shelter and water, then electricity and fuel. A years supply of food storage would be a good goal to start with. it's not that hard using beans grains and pasta etc. and not as expensive as you might think. Also you want to have some of it in your diet now otherwise the transition can be hard. Make some bread out of that hard winter wheat etc.
greendragon
greendragon

Back to top Go down

Post by MUSTANGMOM Sat 05 Jul 2008, 4:12 pm

Nice horse, radical...so where did you find the canned meats?
I love beans but as I have recurring ulcers I have to be very careful about eating legumes of any sort...rice and pastas will have to do.
I know we used to have a large militia here but they got into a conflict with LEOs in the Big Bend and I fear they may have dispersed since that time.
Gotta get busy checking on generators and prices..
Thanks y'all...nice to hear how others are doing it..
MUSTANGMOM
MUSTANGMOM

Back to top Go down

Post by MUSTANGMOM Sat 05 Jul 2008, 4:16 pm

And thank you, GreenDragon, for your response.
We have considerable acreage here...we raise horses...lol..and we've raised goats in the past...doggone but they're hard to keep fenced in...

Our place is right on a blacktop road that has lots of traffic...trying to protect our livestock/garden, etc. might be a bit difficult if things get as bad as predicted.

There are 3 adults here...
MUSTANGMOM
MUSTANGMOM

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Willers Fri 11 Jul 2008, 10:59 am

I'd say you should buy books such as, 'How things are Made'.

Search online for *old* books about how they did things. Those are cheap insurance in case power becomes spotty.

'Eddie

Eddie Willers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down